Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Your manager makes you agile [John Levy]

Can you make someone else be agile?

It seems impossible on first glance because “agility” isn’t something you can impose on someone else. And on second glance, all the training for Agile is focused on self-managing teams.

But when I think back on managers I’ve had and I ask myself what the best ones did that helped me to succeed, there are five characteristics that stand out. The best managers influenced me and other people by exhibiting these characteristics.

1. Sensitivity – The manager listens well and has a real sense of what each person is trying to do. She watches for clues to underlying conflicts and motivations and asks questions to help me clarify what I need to move forward.

2. Insight – The manager can synthesize a big picture from lots of separate inputs. He compares what I’m saying to the comments of others and offers stories from experience to help me see what my alternatives are.

3. Understanding – The manager asks questions until she has enough information to grasp what’s missing or what could be added to improve things. She has seen lots of projects and teams and knows what it takes to succeed.

4. Clarity of goals – The manager has no doubt about what makes a successful result. He reminds me what’s to be done and what I shouldn’t do on the way.

5. Rock solid values – The manager knows and believes in the values of the company or organization and repeatedly states what they are. She also behaves in a way that is ethical and consistent with these values.

Think about how having a manager with these characteristics helps an Agile team perform to their best ability. Even though the team is empowered to manage its own day-to-day activities, having a manager around with these five characteristics can amplify effectiveness.

____________________________
John Levy consults on managing Agile development and is a frequent expert witness in computer & software patent cases. He has 30 years’ experience as a consultant and manager at Quantum, Apple, Tandem and DEC. His book on managing development, Get Out of the Way, is due out in 2009. More info at http://johnlevyconsulting.com

2 comments:

Tanya Berezin said...

Hi, John!

You have a great list of what makes a good manager. I am not sure I would limit this by saying such managers help agile teams succeed. A manager with these characteristics helps any team - and every individual on the team - to succeed, no matter what process they are using at the moment.

I would also add one other characteristic, or perhaps expand on your first one, sensitivity. An agile manager is sensitive not only to what his team is doing and motivations within the team. She is also sensitive to the motivations and actions of those outside the team who directly or indirectly affect the team's outcomes. Such political astuteness can be crucial to the team's success and the manager is in a unique position to provide it.

Thanks for a great post.
Tanya Berezin

Harley said...

Hello mate nice blogg